These PPML specifications are technical documents that will primarily be of interest to developers. There is no charge for this information, and there are no royalties for using PPML.
The following specifications are available for download:
- PPML/GA_3.0 (file size 137KB) This Graphic Arts Conformance Specification defines the PPML requirements that must be supported by both PPML producing and consuming devices to enable interoperability. PPML/GA 3.0 supports transparency within PDF and between the dataset layers, in addition to efficient cache and reuse. PPML/GA 3.0 is built upon the PPML 3.0 Functional Specification.
- PPML_3.0 (file size 137KB) This Functional Specification defines all the XML tags that constitute the PPML language. This is the PPML reference.
- PPML_3.0_Packaging (file size 111KB) This specification defines the format of a zipped PPML file format for ease of transfer and job submission. The Packaging specification is a companion to the PPML Functional spec. (Changes from PPML2.2 limited to updated references to the 3.0 specification.)
- PPML_3.0_DPT (file size 568KB) This specification defines the semantics for combining the Personalized Print Markup Language (PPML) with Job Definition Format (JDF) for printing applications. This conformance subset of PPML specifies the semantics required to make content data and meta information described in PPML available to a JDF Consumer as described by the JDF specification.
PPML3.0 DPT extends the Digital Print Ticket specification to take advantage of new features available within JDF 1.4 and PPML 3.0. These new features enable control of processing at the page, document, and set level. This specification is "backwards compatible" and can be used with all versions of PPML.
- PPML_3.0_Imposition (file size 373KB) This optional specification defines where content is placed on the sheet. The Imposition specification is a companion to the PPML functional specification, with changes limited to updated references to 3.0 specification. NOTE: PODi recommends that PPML content be combined with JDF impositioning for all new work.
- PPML_3.0_Application Notes (2.1MB) The PPML 3.0 imaging model enables use of transparency effects between layers of any page description language whilst adhering to the PDF transparent imaging model. PPML3.0 supports use of features such as "drop shadows" on variable postscript type that overlay a TIFF or PDF image below, or variable images with soft edges or vignette masks, where flattening will take place "in-RIP". The Application Notes describe the extension of PPML2.2 to support the addition of transparency in high speed variable data printing, providing both examples and explanation of the transparency calculations.
- PPML_3.0_Packaging Application Notes (file size 2.1MB) The packaging industry utilizes "nested imposition" to minimize the amount of material used in the production of boxes, containers, labels and other irregularly-shaped packaging. This differs from traditional imposition by overlapping the bounding boxes of each cell. These application notes document a methodology for specifying the required impositioning using a PPML template, combined with the DDES3 standard data that can be exported from die-making applications.
- PPML/GA_2.2 (file size 94KB) This Graphic Arts Conformance Specification defines the PPML requirements that must be supported by both PPML producing and consuming devices to enable interoperability. PPML/GA 2.2 is built upon the PPML 2.2 Functional Specification.
- PPML_2.2 (file size 536KB) This Functional Specification defines the XML tags that constitute the PPML language. This is the PPML reference.
- PPML_2.2_Application Notes (file size 332KB) The Application Notes for the Personalized Print Markup Language (PPML) provide both explanation and working examples to demonstrate proper PPML coding to achieve desired results. They are a companion (not a replacement) for the PPML functional and conformance specifications above.
- PPML_2.2_Packaging (file size 115KB) defines the format of a zipped PPML file format for ease of transfer and job submission. The Packaging specification is a companion to the PPML Functional specification.
- PPML_2.2_Imposition (file size 425KB) defines where content is placed on the sheet. This optional Imposition specification is a companion to the PPML functional specification.
- PPML V2.2 Chinese Specification (654.18 kB) this is a Chinese translation provided to PODi of the Functional Specification defines the XML tags that constitute the PPML language.
- PPML V2.2 Chinese Specification With Content Links (1008.41 kB)
- PPML 2.1 (file size 1.6 MB) Defines the XML tags that constitute the PPML language.
- PPML 1.5 (file size 1.3 MB) Defines the XML tags that constitute the PPML language.
- PPML Templating 1.0 Defines a powerful new method of generating PPML using industry standard scripting tools. For use by system designers in creating high-productivity automated workflows. (November 2002) (file size 811 KB)
- DPT 2.0 Specification The Digital Print Ticket (DPT) 2.0 specification defines the semantics of how PPML and JDF interact. (May 2005)(file size 123KB)